1. Purchase a stainless steel, unlined water bottle. Avoid plastic and aluminum.
- I recommend Kleen Kanteen.
2. Reheat and store food in glass containers, not plastic.
- Check out pyrex and other similar brands.
3. Avoid plastics labeled #3 or #7.
4. Limit animal products in your diet.
- If you eat fish, avoid shark, tilefish, swordfish, and king mackerel.
5. Establish a “no shoes policy” in your home.
- And make sure your vaccuum has a HEPA filter.
6. Avoid products with the ingredient “fragrance”.
7. Replace household cleaning products with vinegar and baking soda.
- You can make your own; or you can go here for safe cleaners.
8. Avoid using non-stick cookware.
- Opt for stainless steel, ceramic, or cast-iron.
9. Avoid buying new furniture and carpet that contains flame retardants.
- Invest in non-toxic brands, or go vintage with antiques.
10. Investigate your makeup brands. Replace as many skin care products as you can with organic coconut oil.
- Check out Skin Deep to see how your products rate.
11. avoid using air freshener sprays (this includes the plug-in type).
12. Invest in a high quality water filter for your home.
13. Avoid using straws in your drinks.
14. Avoid buying canned food.
15. And lastly, always buy the dirty dozen produce organic.
Implement these one at a time, as you are able; small changes will make a big difference to your health.
By following these guidelines, you will drastically cut down your exposure to BPA, phthalates, dioxin, ozone, fire retardants, organophosphate pesticides, perfluorinated chemicals, mercury, glycol ethers, atrazine, lead, and perchlorate.
Check out your own body burden by taking the quiz.